Temple in Ha Noi

Tay Ho Pagoda

Phủ Tây Hồ is a small pagoda located on a peninsula that just in the middle of the West Lake (Hồ Tây) shore in Hanoi. It is said to be a popular destination among unmarried people, who come here on Sundays and on the first and 15th day of each lunar month to pray for good fortune. It should be noted here that Phủ Tây Hồ does not belong to Buddhism or Confucianism.

The most direct way to reach Phủ Tây Hồ is from Ba Dinh Square. Just head north along Hung Vuong road, it will take you to the West Lake. Going along the road shaded by rows of trees and passing Tây Hồ villa area, visitors will arrive at the Pagoda which lies on the peninsular considered a golden fish-shaped ground protruding into the lake. The area is full of the aroma of lotus flowers.

Tay Ho Pagoda is one of Hà Nội most popular destination, especially on the first and 15th of each lunar month. It is dedicated to the Mother Goodness, Thánh Mẫu. Many pilgrims come not only to pray and show their worship but also to relax and enjoy the magic and scare landscapes in the middle of Hanoi capital. While Citadel in Hue street is calm, Quan Thanh on Thanh Nien street is deep, Kim Lien pagoda is quiet, Tay Ho Pagoda is always much merrier and more animated.

As the legends goes, she appeared in the 17th century as a pretty girl in front of a fisherman on the lake, smiling and reciting poetry. Then she disappeared without revealing her identity. Later the locals found out who she really was and built Tay Ho Pagoda in Ha Noi. From the gate, visitors will see the 3-door entrance which was built in curves, roofs covered with tube-tiles, the panels on either sides cite the legendary meeting between Phung Khac Khoan and Goodness Liễu Hạnh. There is a large-scale architecture facing two storey of towers in the main hall. In the centre, it is a panel reading “Tay Ho Hien Tich” which is beautifully decorated.

There are many worship objects in the Pagoda such as: panels, altar, royal seat, fresco, etc. All were beautifully and artfully carved and decorated, bearing signs and styles of the 19th century. There are also canopies, altars and 3 bronze bells, a stone incense-burner, 3 nominations to God Kim Ngưu (Golden Buffalo) and 50 statues of different sizes.

On the way to the Pagoda, visitors can see many open-air restaurants selling delicious food items like: deep fried shrimps in flour batter and shellfish soup and vermicelli. Crisp shrimp (Bánh tôm) is available everywhere in the country but it is said best to have it at West Lake, around Tay Ho pagoda.

73 P Quan Su, Hanoi, Vietnam

Quan Su Temple was built in the 15th century under the Lê Dynasty. At that time there was no Buddhist temple here but some cottages used as a place of worship. According to Hoàng Lê nhất thống chí, during Emperor Le The Tong’s reign, Chiem Thanh (Champa), Ai Lao (Laos) usually sent ambassadors to offer tributes to Đại Việt (official name of Viet Nam under the Lê Dynasty). The Emperor ordered to construct a building called Quan Su (Embassy) to receive foreign ambassadors to Thăng Long. Because those ambassadors were all Buddhist, they decided to build a temple on the premises for worship. Today only the temple remains.

According to Doctor Le Duy Trung’s essay carved on the 1855 stele, the temple was close to Hau Quan Base in the early years of Gia Long Era (1802–1819). In 1822, the temple was renovated so that the local residents could practise worship here. When the troops withdrew, the temple was returned to the villagers. Monk Thanh Phuong, who hosted the temple then, had corridors built, statues painted, bell made. The front palace is dedicated to the Buddha and the rear palace is dedicate to Master Minh Khong of the Lý Dynasty.


perfurm pagoda, Huong Tich, Hanoi, Vietnam

The Huong Pagoda (English: Perfume Pagoda, Vietnamese: Chùa Hương, Chinese: 香寺) is a vast complex of Buddhist temples and shrines built into the limestone Huong Tich mountains. It is the site of a religious festival which draws large numbers of pilgrims from across Vietnam.The centre of the Huong Temple lies in Huong Son Commune, Mỹ Đức District, former Hà Tây Province (now Hanoi). The centre of this complex is the Perfume Temple, also known as Chua Trong (Inner Temple), located in Huong Tich Cave.

It is thought that the first temple was a small structure on the current site of Thien Tru which existed during the reign of Lê Thánh Tông in the 15th century. Legend claims that the site was discovered over 2000 years ago by a monk meditating in the area, who named the site after a Tibetan mountain where Lord Buddhapracticed asceticism.[3] A stele at the current temple dates the building of a terrace, stone steps and Kim Dung shrine to 1686, during the reign of Le Hy Tong, at around the same time that Chua Trong was being constructed. Over the years some of the structures were damaged and replaced. The original statues of Lord Buddha and Quan Am were cast from bronze in 1767 and replaced with the current statues in 1793. More recently, damage was done during both the French and the American wars. Both the gate and the bell tower at Thien Tru Pagoda were destroyed, the bell tower rebuilt in 1986 and the gate completed in 1994.

The many Pagodas that make up Chua Huong are spread out among the limestone hills and tropical forests in the area of Huong Mountain.

Den Trinh
Approaching from the Day River, one will first come across Den Trinh (Presentation shrine), also known as Den Quan Lon (Shrine of High-ranking Mandarin), built to worship one of the generals of a Hung King. This large shrine has a gate with two kneeling elephant statues on each side. Inside the structure is a large ceremonial room.

Thien Tru Pagoda

Beyond Den Trinh is Thien Tru (Heaven Kitchen) Pagoda, also known as Chua Ngoai (Outer Pagoda). Here one will find Vien Cong Bao Stupa, a brick structure where Ch’an Master Vien Quang, who led the reconstruction of the pagoda, is buried.  Thien Thuy stupa, a naturally occurring structure that is the result of the erosion of a rocky hill, is also nearby. Thien Tru is also home to a bell tower and Hall of the Triple Gem, last restored in the 1980s. Inside the Pagoda there is a large statue of Quan Am Nam Hai.

Giai Oan Pagoda

On the route from Thien Tru to Huong Tich cave is Giai Oan Temple, also called ‘Clearing Unjust Charges’ Pagoda. Here there is a pond called Thien Nhien Thanh Tri (Natural Blue Pond), also called Long Tuyen Well, and Giai Oan stream, with its 9 sources.

Huong Tich Cave

The center of the Chua Huong complex, Huong Tich Cave houses Chua Trong (Inner Temple). The mouth of the cave has the appearance of an open dragon’s mouth with Chu Nho characters carved in a wall at the mouth of the cave. The characters (Nam thien de nhat dong) are translated as “the foremost cave under the Southern Heavens” and the carving is dated to 1770. The words are attributed by some to the ruler of that time, Thinh Do Vuong Trinh Sam. Inside the cave there are many statues. There is a large statue of Lord Buddha, as well as one of Quan Am, both made of a green stone. Quan Am’s “left leg is stretched out and the foot lies on a lotus flower, her right leg is bent and is supported by a lotus flower with supple leaves; a hand holds a pearl.” There are also statues of Arhats and various other figures. Among the naturally occurring features of the cave are numerous stalactites and stalagmites, some of which are worn smooth from years of rubbing by visitors to the cave.

Other sites included in the Chua Huong complex are Thien Son Pagoda, Thuyet Kinh Grotto, Phat Tich Temple, and Vong Temple.

Bến Đục (Pier Duc)

The very first starting point of the pilgrimage is Ben Duc (Pier Duc). Normally, it takes more than 2 hours to go from Hanoi to Ben Duc. During the annual festival months, Ben Duc is packed with thousands of row boats used for shuttling visitors. For many visitors, this one-hour boat ride on the Yen Vi Stream from Pier Duc is actually the highlight of the trip, and inspiration sources of quite a few famous poets.

Suối Yến (Yen stream)

Yen stream flows between two mountains for 3 kilometers. Nevertheless, sitting on the boat, leisurely enjoying the surrounding landscape, you may feel that the stream is endless. Despite a facilitated road from Pier Duc to Perfume mountain, most people choose to use row boats on Yen Vi Stream (or Yen Stream), which is by far a much more romantic and scenic route to Huong Pagoda.

While traveling along Yen Stream, tourists pass by stunning landscape of blazing green rice paddles studded with jagged limestone mounts to the base of Huong Mountain. If you are on a boat there, you can easily see on your left the Phoenix Mountain, and Doi Cheo Mountain, which looks like an Indian python (Tran). Also on the left are Bung and Voi, the two mountains associated with interesting legends. On your right is Ngu Nhac mountain with the Trinh Temple where visitors stop and burn incense for the God of the Mountain. Before reaching Tro Wharf where the tour begins, the boat also passes by the Deo and Phong Su Mountains, Son Thuy Huu Tinh Cave, Trau Cave, Hoi Bridge, and Dau Valley.


Many Vietnamese people visit Chua Huong on religious pilgrimage. The standard greetings from one pilgrim to another are “A Di Da Phat”[1] or “Namo Amitabha Buddha”. For the purpose of pilgrimage there are various routes that one might take, but the most popular is to take a boat from Yen wharf, stopping at Trinh shrine to ‘present’ themselves at the ‘registration shrine’. The pilgrims then make their way to Hoi bridge and visit Thanh Son temple inside a cave. The next stop is Tro wharf, from which pilgrims travel on foot to Thien Tru Pagoda. After Thien Tru comes Tien temple, followed by Giai Oan temple. It is believed that Buddha once stopped here to wash himself clean of the dust of humanity, and many pilgrims will wash their face and hands in Long Tuyen Well in hopes of washing away past karmas. While here, pilgrims may also visit Tuyet Kinh cave and Cua Vong shrine to worship the Goddess of the Mountains, or Phat Tich Shrine where there is a stone believed to be the preserved footprint of the Quan Am. From here pilgrims head toward the final destination: Huong Tich Cave. At Huong Tich there are statues of deities, but many pilgrims come to get blessings from the stalactites and stalagmites, many of which are named and have special purposes. Many childless pilgrims seek fertility from Nui Co (the girl) and Nui Cau (the boy), while others visit stalactites and stalagmites thought to give prosperity. Pilgrims often gather under one particular stalactite, which resembles a breast, to catch drops of water in hopes of being blessed with health from the ‘milk’ of the ‘breast’. Other names of stalactites and stalagmites include the Heap of Coins (Dun Tien), the Gold Tree, the Silver Tree, the Basket of Silkworms (Buong Tam), the Cocoon (Nong Ken) and the Rice Stack (Dun Gao)


The main pilgrimage season at Chua Huong is during the Huong Pagoda festival, when hundreds of thousands of pilgrims make their way to Huong Tich cave and the other temples.  The longest lasting festival in Vietnam, it officially begins on February 15 on the lunar calendar, but the peak in visitors lasts from the middle of January to the middle of March. The Festival is seen by some as a good opportunity for young people to find romance and begin courtships. Many restaurants in Huong Pagoda kill and butcher wildlife including civits, deer, porcupine, wild pig and serve it as special, rare or expensive meat which is particularly popular during the festival period.

dinh bang village, Bac Ninh

Do Temple is located in Dinh Bang village, an area known for its religious and cultural traditions.

Do Temple is located in Dinh Bang village, an area known for its religious and cultural traditions. The temple was established to commemorate the 8 kings of Ly Dynasty: Ly Cong Uan, Ly Thai To, Ly Thai Tong, Ly Thanh Tong, Ly Nhan Tong, Ly Than Tong, Ly anh Tong, Ly Cao Tong and Ly Hue Tong. Surrounding the typical Northern pagoda architecture is a green area covered in trees and fresh air. At the front of the temple, like most other pagodas, there is a pond to keep the wood from drying out the feel.

Do Temple can easily be combined into a day trip with other attractions in Bac Ninh such as Dinh Bang TempleDong Ho Village. You can reach the temple either by riding your own bike or arranging a tour with a taxi company, which should not cost more than $60.

Đinh Tiên Hoàng, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam

Being built on the Jade Islet and dedicated to Confucian and Taoist philosophers and the national hero, Trần Hưng Đạo, the small temple was expanded in 1865.

From the shore, the Welcoming Morning Sunlight Bridge (Cầu Thê Húc) leads to the island. Buildings of the temple include the Pen Tower (Thap But), the ink-slab (Dai Nghien), the Moon Contemplation Pavilion (Dac Nguyet) and the Pavilion against Waves (Đình Trấn Ba), all of which have symbolic meaning.

The temple is a popular spot for visitors to Hoan Kiem Lake and Hanoi

Ngoc Son Temple is located in Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Hoan Kiem Distric, Hanoi. This famous and historical temple is situated on Ngoc Island of Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi, Vietnam. This is also the special national relic of Vietnam.
Ngoc Son Temple was built since XIX, firstly it is called Ngoc Son Pagoda, then it was changed and named Ngoc Son Temple because it is just worshiped Van Xuong and Tran Hung Dao a hero of Vietnam national. Under King Ly Thai To, the temple was called Ngoc Tuong, until Tran Dynasty is this temple was changed and named Ngoc Son.

Although Ngoc Son Temple has the new architecture, it is very special about the space, about the combination between the temple and the lake, all of these special features made the temple to get the ancient, harmonious and well-matched beauty, it is mixed between the human and the nature. The tourist will feel this very clearly once exploring this site.

Ngoc Son Temple and Hoan Kiem Lake has become the evidence to remember about the national history, it wakes up the national proud as well as the spirit of each of Vietnamese in the national everlasting. Ngoc Son Temple is located in the heart of Hanoi capital with Hoan Kiem Lake, once you visit this temple is it means that you are also visited Hoan Kiem Lake the heart of Hanoi capital. Ngoc Son Temple is also one of main sight which you must see on your trip to Hanoi because this is also one of the most popular destinations must be included in Hanoi city tour, so that you should not miss it. This site is very worthwhile to visit, every tourist arrive to Hanoi is easy to find this destination because it is located right center of Hanoi capital and on Hoan Kiem Lake.